Friday, November 16, 2012

VCU gets a goddess in Isis

We're dating ourselves here, but we admit, when we hear the name Isis we think of the Saturday morning show about the first female superhero.

Now we have a new Isis that comes to mind: Isis Thorpe, a 5-7 guard from Reading (Pa.) High signed during the early period with VCU on Wednesday.

The Berks County Player of the Year in 2011-12 averaged 20.2 ppg, 10 rpg, 6 apt and 3 bpg her junior season. Thorpe also played for the AAU powerhouse Philadelphia Belles (one of her teammates last year was Sierra Moore, now a Duke freshman).

As for that wonderful first name, "It comes from my mom," she says. "It means Egyptian goddess."

In VCU, Isis found what she calls "my perfect spot."

"I love the atmosphere and the people and fell in love with the environment and the diversity at the school. There's so many opportunities in the city."

She took a visit to N.C. State and another on her own to Rutgers.

Isis calls herself largely a self-taught player with a mean crossover who relishes the fast break. That's another reason she found VCU so appealing. Coach Marlene Stollings loves the uptempo game that Isis says she thrives in playing.

"I never went to a camp and played fundamental basketball," she says. "I do not like setting up the offense. I like getting the ball and just running with it."

Some other fun facts about Isis:

Her planned major? Ask her that question every day, and you might get a different answer.

"I want to do everything when I grow up," she confesses. On the list: medicine, music and law. Musically, she plays piano and wants to learn guitar. She loves to play this piece on piano).

Other fun facts about Isis:

Given she lives in Reading, we had to ask about her favorite outlet. That would be.....

"The Nike store."

Player she likes to watch?

"Kobe. I like everything Kobe."

As for women's ball?

"Candace Parker."

Her philosophy?

"I'm addicted to success. I think I can do everything."

Can't wait to see Isis in a Rams uniform!



No comments:

Post a Comment