Friday, September 6, 2013

Dispatch from Down Under: CNU's Schweers on coming home



Christopher Newport University grad Chelsie Schweers has chronicled her season in Australia with a blog for LadySwish. Schweers' season is over with the Toowoomba Mountaineers, and she returns to the United States this weekend, where she'll be the new varsity girls coach at Hickory High, her alma mater.

This is her final blog. We thank her for blogging for LadySwish and sharing so much with our readers.


I am attempting to put everything I brought with me to Australia back in my suitcases and I'm not having a lot of luck. But, I am determined and eventually the suitcases will be packed, and I will be checking my luggage at the airport terminal. 

I have enjoyed the past several months more than I can put into words. My teammates, roommate, coaches, the Mountaineers Board, and the community of Toowoomba all played a part in making my time in Australia the absolute best. I am proud to have been a Mountaineer and to have been there from the beginning to the end, taking part in the celebrations following our wins, working through our losses, rebounding, and making it to the playoffs! 

As if it wasn't enough to be playing basketball, I got to "play" in Australia! Petting kangaroos at the zoo, spending time in Sydney, catching some sun on the beaches of the Gold Coast, endless nights looking out at Toowoomba from Picnic Point, and driving down the highway on the left side of the road! I cherish the memories and the new friends that helped to make those memories special. 

Many thanks to the Toowoomba community for its amazing and generous support throughout the season. To the Mountaineers Board and my coaches, special thanks for your hard work and endless hours, but especially for giving me this opportunity.

I cannot close this blog out, without giving a special shout-out to LadySwish for keeping up with my basketball journey and for posting my blogs. You have the pulse of women's basketball in Virginia.

Until next time,

Chelsie

1 comment:

  1. Ms Schweers is an awesome young woman and an extremely talented baller. After following her career for years and getting to know her the USA couldn't have a better ambassador representing us around the world.

    ReplyDelete