Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Ciao! from W&M's Correal, now an Italian citizen



William and Mary graduate Emily Correal is playing her first season of international basketball in Italy with Fila San Martino. She is blogging for LadySwish.
 
Ciao!

I can't believe that my season is almost half way over. We have two more teams to play, and then it's time for Christmas break. I am so excited I get to go home and spend time with my family over the holiday.
The last time I blogged I was simply an American, but now I am also an Italian citizen! Getting my Italian passport was the end of a process that started in the summer. Since my great grandparents were Italians who never naturalized in America, the citizenship passed down to me. My dad and my agent worked together to get all the necessary papers and all their hard work paid off, because I was invited to train with the Italian national team.

I spent three days in November and three days this month with the national team. It was a great experience. I got to know the players and coaches and learned some of their system. This summer if they would like me to play with them they will call me and I will play and hopefully help them qualify for the Euro League championships.
 
My team, Fila San Martino, has had some difficulties winning in the first half of the season with one of our foreign players injured, but we have been working hard to overcome the loss, and I think we will win more games in the second half of the season.Individually things are going well. I am in the league top ten for scoring and rebounds, averaging a double-double. Against a good Cagliari team featuring Atlantic 10 player of the year Jennifer Hailey, I scored 35 points with 8 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 steals. This is a challenging league with many good American post players. I enjoy it very much.
 
Buon Natale e felice anno nuovo!
 
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment