Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Catching up with ex-Hokie coach Beth Dunkenberger



LadySwish had a chance to get up with former Virginia Tech coach Beth Dunkenberger, in Norfolk for Old Dominion's Conference-USA opener against Tulane. Dunkenberger, who coached the Hokies from 2004-11, is now an assistant basketball coach at Tulane to head coach Lisa Stockton. Initially, Dunkenberger was hired as director of operations, but moved up to assistant coach last season. She handles game planning, recruiting and academic progress for the Green Wave.


What's it like at Tulane?

I love Tulane. It's a great school in a wonderful city and I get to work with my best friend in the whole world (Stockton).

Was it an adjustment moving to New Orleans?

I had lived in tiny college towns my entire life. There's so much to do in New Orleans -- food, music, shopping, different lifestyles. The thing I like about New Orleans is it's not a huge city like New York or Atlanta with all that traffic.  It's really a big small town. You can head to a show after the game or go see a jazz band. There's always things to do.

Does New Orleans really have the best creole?

Jambalaya, etouffee -- I've got to get on the elliptical just thinking about it.

When you think back to Tech, are they good memories?

Absolutely. I loved it there. I loved the people. Great memories. Sometimes things don't work out. They needed a new direction and I needed a change. Change can be for the better and the 16 years I spent there were some of the best years of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment