Thursday, May 29, 2014

Remember ODU's Tish? She's Dr. Lyons now


We remember Tish Lyons as the guard with the sweet baseline jumper for Old Dominion. Now the kids we knew is Tish is the doctor we know as Dr. Lyons. Major congrats on her recent graduation from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tenn., and many thanks for taking time to chat with us.

What kind of doctor are you, and do you know where you will work yet?

Thank you!  I am an obstetrician and gynecologist. In March, I matched to the University of Texas-Houston, Memorial Hermann Hospital which is in the Texas Medical Center.  My official start date is June 24th and I'm so excited!

What was medical school like? What was the hardest time(s)?

Medical school was very challenging and very rewarding. The first two years in the classroom involved me cramming as much information about the human body and its associated diseases into my brain. The third year of school was very hands-on, as I rotated through family medicine, ob/gyn, psychiatry,  internal medicine, surgery and pediatrics.  Going into that year, I was convinced I was going to do orthopaedic surgery; however, I fell in love on my ob/gyn rotation and never looked back.  Fourth year was filled with applications, interviews around the country, match day and graduation. 
The hardest times of medical school was studying for the different parts of my licensing exam. During medical school I had three different exams to take and I have one more to take in residency.  These exams are very comprehensive and required a focused and intense study period as well as a hefty financial commitment. 

Guessing no time for basketball. Do you ever play pickup? Miss the game?

Although medical school sucks up a lot of time, I definitely made it a priority to make time for things I enjoy. I've actually participated in a spring city league three out of the four years I was in medical school with another Virginia athlete, Cherish Springfield. Additionally, Meharry has an intramural basketball league that I participated in -- on an all-female squad.  I miss the game at the collegiate level times, but anytime I want to play I know where to find a good game.

How long will it take for you to get used to hearing folks call you Dr. Lyons?!


I'm not sure how long it will take, but it shouldn't take too long after June 24th!

No comments:

Post a Comment