Wednesday, June 18, 2014

VCU guard not transferring after all

Good news for VCU and guard Keira Robinson.

The 5-8 rising sophomore guard will remain a Ram. On the heels of second-year coach Marlene Stollings leaving VCU for Minnesota in April, Robinson had planned to transfer to Charlotte. She has since had a change of heart and is back on the VCU campus in Richmond, excited for the 2013-14 season under new coach Beth O'Boyle.

Robinson is from Columbia, S.C., which is about 90 minutes south of Charlotte, and being closer to home and the uncertainty about playing for a new coach led to her initial decision to transfer. "I was feeling a little afraid," she admitted.

But then she had time to reflect on the choice.

 "After I transferred, I had nothing but time at home to sit and pray and dwell on the decision I made," she said. "I couldn't first imagine sitting out a year or could I picture myself playing without a great group of girls.  They are like the sisters I never had, and I am grateful for them. I felt like I made a commitment to this team as well as VCU, and I should carry through with my commitment."

We're happy for Robinson and for VCU, whose offense relies heavily on her versatility. She started 31 of 32 games last season, averaging 11.4 ppg, 6.2 apg and 3.6 rpg. Robinson's scoring average is second only to returning guard Isis Thorpe (12.2 ppg).

Eleven freshmen and sophomores were part of a Rams team that was the surprise of the Atlantic 10 last season, finishing 22-10 and advancing to the WNIT. O'Boyle, who just completed her staff with the hiring of assistant coach Nerlande Nicolas and director of operations Stephanie Witko, comes to VCU from Stony Brook, having led the Seawolves to a 24-9 season and their first postseason appearance in 2006.

"This upcoming season I see great things that Coach OB and the amazing coaching staff have planned for us," Robinson said. "Coach OB is wonderful and has a lot in store for us, and we are up for the challenge."

No comments:

Post a Comment