Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Why we love Radford's Aisha Foy



A few weeks ago, we sent players a Twitter survey to try and learn how they spent their summers. Well, let's just say we weren't overwhelmed with responses. But that's OK; we love the feedback we got, particularly one detailed offering from Radford's Aisha Foy. In fact, we loved it so much we decided to share it with the world.

Thanks a ton, Aisha. Coach (Mike) McGuire, more minutes for this young lady!


1. What aspect of your game have you worked on/improved the most this offseason?

Absolutely the mental part of the game and self-development as a person and leader. We can work on our jump shot until we shoot like MJ, but if we can't help our teammates do the same thing then we won't get championships. We have eight newcomers this year; that's huge for basketball. So the entire concept of leading by example makes every other aspect of your game improve because you have to work harder than everyone else in any drill no matter what it is so the game and skill will come.

2. Most fun thing you've done this summer?

Wow. The most fun thing I did this summer was my experience as a Quest Assistant, which is a student helper for freshman orientation. They split about 300-400 incoming freshmen that come each session into groups for about 20 per QA, and we are the first impression of the school. You can be the deciding factor if they come back to Radford in the fall. And if they don't have a choice, are they going to be excited to come back or will they dread it? Talk about pressure! Twenty freshmen, with the wrong things on their mind, and having to keep them motivated and entertained through a long day of presentations they don't want to sit through AND have to tend to anxious parents that want to ask all the questions in the world. . . . I don't care what anyone says; that's one of the toughest jobs in the world. But it was rewarding and so much fun through the process and the training. All the 24 QAs live together for about a month and a half and build this incredible bond. As a QA you develop this ownership, love and appreciation for your school. You also make amazing friends, even though all 24 of us were completely different. I had trouble bonding and developing relationships with people different than me (non-athletes). After my QA experience, I can find ways to relate to anyone which was something that was on my list to develop anyway. The greatest moment of my QA experience was we had a talent show just for the staff during the training period, and I decided at the last minute to put together a speech to inspire everyone throughout our journey (Believe me, we needed it working 6 a.m. to noon during sessions). This was a huge fear of mine, but at the same time I want to be a speaker, so I got that first time out of the way (haha). Personally, the QA experience hit me in a different way because I was one of three athletes on staff. When you are being recruited as an athlete to come to a school, there's SO much you don't see or realize about your school. I wass fortunate to get to have such an amazing experience, to have a huge impact of the incoming freshmen and to be the one to make a difference in their time here at Radford.

3. Summer guilty pleasure?

It came when I went on vacation to Cancun with my family. For those four days ate and had fun and that was about it (haha). I had all the intentions to hit the gym every day, but I got so caught up in my family craziness time when by so fast! But I had a great time.

4. Best movie you've seen this summer, and why did you enjoy it so much?

I actually didn't see any good movies really! I am not into TV.

5. Favorite Robin Williams movie/show/special?

I have watched a lot of Robin Williams but my favorite has to be "Mrs. Doubtfire." Hilarious!



No comments:

Post a Comment