Monday, February 25, 2013

Seniors chats: George Mason's Rahneeka Saunders


LadySwish gets sentimental this time of year, just one of the reasons we like talking to seniors. We recently caught up with George Mason's Rahneeka Saunders, who has started 56 of the Patriots last 57 games. The 5-6 guard from Washington, D.C. makes the George Mason offense go, leading the team in scoring (11.5 ppg) and assists (78).

Reflect on your George Mason memories.

I think of the game I just played a few days ago. I hit the game-winning shot against William and Mary. That was pretty exciting. That was the first time I've ever hit a game-winning shot. I'm glad coach (Jeri) Porter had the confidence to put the ball in my hand at the last minute. (Saunders scored 19 with 13 boards in the 57-56 victory.)

A memorable road trip?

I really enjoyed New Mexico. That was the farthest I've ever been. (Patriots traveled to Las Cruces over Thanksgiving, defeating Drake and falling to New Mexico State.)

What's next?

I plan to play overseas. I'm getting my game tape ready and looking for an agent.

And once your playing days are over?

I really want to get into coaching. If not, I'd like to work for a professional sports organization.

How does Rahneeka Saunders spend a day off?

For fun, I like to play my XBox 360. I like to play Need for Speed, and I also like to play (NBA) 2K13.

Who do you enjoy watching play the game?

For men, I love to watch the Wizards and the Heat, and I love to watch the Mystics. I like all the WNBA teams. I like Alana Beard, and I like to watch Tamika Catchings and Diana Taurasi.

It's great to hear somebody rooting for the Wizards!

I love the home teams. I love the Wizards. I like John Wall; I've met him.

Do you like being a scorer or a passer?

I would like to go back to passing. Don't get me wrong. I love to score, but I think I'm more of a passer. At the same time, I think I adjusted well to being a scorer. I really like the role I have right now. I'm excited my team depends on me to produce points. I accepted the role I had this year, and I want to build on it and make scoring become more a part of my game.

How special will Senior Night be (it's Thursday against UNC Wilmington)?

My family will be there. Most of my friends. will be there. It will be an exciting moment. This year, my mom hasn't felt all that well, so she hasn't been to as many of my games. For her to be there, it will mean a lot to me. Hopefully I'll play well, and we'll get a win.

What will you miss the most about George Mason?

I would say being around my team. I really enjoy them. I have good friendships with them.

What kind of things do you guys do together?

We cook at each other's house and play card games.We play Taboo.

The best cook is ... ?

Cierra (Strickland). She cooks spaghetti really well. I like to make breakfasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment