Monday, April 16, 2012

VCU's Hurt will play out her hoop dream in Indiana


Welcome to the WNBA Courtney Hurt!

The VCU career leader in scoring and rebounding (and a whole bunch of other statistical categories) was drafted by the Indiana Fever on Monday -- picked 10th in the third round. That's 34th overall out of 36 players selected, making Courtney sweat it out a bit.

"I was verrrryyy nervous when the third round started but I really think I landed on a great team and have a good chance of making a roster at Indiana," Hurt said.

There are no Virginia ties on the team, but Hurt, who hails from Conyers, Ga., already has a buddy.

"I don't know anybody on the team but Tamika Catchings just called me so I am making friends rather quickly," she said.

And while making a team's final roster is no easy feat, ,we like the odds for the nation's leading rebounder the last two years.

"They are looking for a rebounder and a scoring threat, so I think I could really help them in those departments. I am going into training camp with a chip on my shoulder and leaving it all out there."

Hurt is the third Ram drafted by the WNBA in the last five years (Krystal Vaughn, 2008; Quanitra Hollingsworth, 2009).

As noted by her big bro on Courtney's Facebook page: C-Hurt got Drafted to Indiana Fever!! Leh Go!! My little Sister from Memorial Middle to Salem High to VCU to WNBA!!!! #Proud!!! #Team C-Hurt!!!

As we like to say at LadySwish, you go, girl!

Check out Hurt's WNBA draft moment as it played out on ESPN:

No comments:

Post a Comment