Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Down Under report from CNU's Chelsie Schweers, now a LadySwish blogger



LadySwish is thrilled to have former Christopher Newport University legend Chelsie Schweers blogging for us during her season in Australia. Schweers, who happens to be the leading scorer in Virginia women's basketball history, signed with the Toowoomba Mountaineers in April. Here is her first report from Down Under.

 Hey everybody! I got a lot of positive feedback from my blogs while I was playing basketball in Greece so I thought it would be fun to keep them going now that I am in Australia! I have been here just over two weeks and I am having a GREAT time.  When I first found out about an opportunity to play on a team in Australia, I was so excited! I have always wanted to visit Australia and to be given the opportunity to play basketball here is truly a blessing.  

Being on the other side of the world is definitely a new experience. We are 14 hours ahead of the East Coast in the United States, which has taken some getting used to when it comes to communicating back home. While there are so many things that are different, there are also many similarities. We drive on the other side of the road, the steering wheel is on the other side in the car, toilets flush the opposite direction, and although we all speak English, I have struggled with some of the Australian slang.  

The team I am playing for is called the Toowoomba Mountaineers.  We are located in a small town on top of a mountain in Southern Australia. The winter season is approaching and I’m expecting it to be pretty cold the next few months. Fortunately, we are only about an hour from the Gold Coast and Sun Coast, and it doesn't get too cold there, so definitely looking forward to making those trips. They have really nice beaches!

I have played in three scrimmage games since arriving and my team took the win in all three games! My first real game will be on Saturday, May 11 and I am very excited! The Toowoomba Basketball Association and the community have been extremely supportive. They go out of their way each and every day to make sure I am okay and having a great time – of course, how can you not have a great time in Australia!  My teammates are amazing, they are simply the best, and they make me feel so lucky to have landed this opportunity. The whole town has gone above and beyond to make me feel at home.  

I look forward to writing again soon! I appreciate all the love and support I am getting from everyone back home! Go Neers!

Chelsie 


No comments:

Post a Comment