Friday, June 28, 2013

Dispatch from Down Under: CNU's Schweers racking up the points


Former Christopher Newport University legend Chelsie Schweers is blogging for LadySwish during her season in Australia. Schweers, who happens to be the leading scorer in Virginia women's basketball history, signed with the Toowoomba Mountaineers in April. Here is her report from Down Under.

By the way, follow Chelsie at Twitter @chelsieschweers

The Toowoomba Mountaineers will start the second half of their season on Sunday, playing South West at home. Going into the second half of the season with a 2-6 record is obviously not where my team wanted to be. Losing one of our last games at the buzzer was especially tough.  Our next two games are important for our pool. That is, the top two teams in each pool qualify for the playoffs, which means a 2-6 record at this stage does not mean we are out. We have only played one team in our pool so far, and we won that game.  The next few games coming up are the most important for our season and we will have to be at the top of our game.  
 This past week was our "bye" week. While I had planned to spend some time at the beach, the weather did not cooperate. Hopefully, I will have some time to take in some sightseeing in the next couple of weeks. Although I didn’t make it to the beach, I did have the opportunity to give back to the community. There are a lot of after school activities in the community that are focused on getting kids involved in sports. I spend a lot of my free time teaching kids about the game of basketball and a little bit about life in America. The kids are always happy to see us, and their enthusiasm is so inspiring. I look forward to seeing their smiles every time I walk into the gym! 
 After week seven in the league, I am proud to announce that I am currently the league’s leading scorer, averaging 27.4 ppg. That was a bit of a surprise and a really good feeling when I saw those statistics posted. However, now it is all about the team and getting where we need to be to fight for a spot in the playoffs! 





No comments:

Post a Comment