Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Dispatch from Down Under: Happy Birthday, Chelsie!



LadySwish is thrilled to have former Christopher Newport University legend Chelsie Schweers blogging for us during her season in Australia. Schweers, who happens to be the leading scorer in Virginia women's basketball history, signed with the Toowoomba Mountaineers in April. Here is her fourth report from Down Under.

By the way, follow Chelsie at Twitter @chelsieschweers

The Mountaineers came up with their second W this past weekend against the Bundaberg Bears. This was a big win for our team since we were coming off a loss from last weekend. The team pulled together and we were able to grind out a 71-68 win! After trailing by 10 for most of the first half, we came out with more intensity the second half and were determined not to let this game get away from us. By the end of the third quarter we had taken a three- point lead, and we were able to hold onto that at the end of the fourth. This game was extra special for me personally, bringing in my first Australian double-double tallying 10 rebounds and 27 points!  
 With only two games in the W column, we knew it was time to take a look at what was and was not working for us as a team before going into this past week’s game. We spent a lot of time watching film because you see  mistakes and trouble spots that you don’t see as clearly during the game. We talked about what we needed to do to turn things around, and on Saturday it was good to see all of our hard work pay off.  We have a big weekend coming up that we will be gearing up for this week. We will be flying to Townsville, which is the largest city in Queensland. There we will take on the Townsville Flames on Friday night and then travel to Cairns on Saturday night where we will play the Cairns Dolphins. We are feeling some momentum and are excited about this weekend’s upcoming games!
 This week I will be celebrating my birthday in Australia! I am turning 24 on June 11, which for me usually means spending time with my family and close friends at home. Although that won't be happening this year, I am looking forward to celebrating with my Aussie buddies!  Turning 24 in Australia while playing the game I have loved since I was 10 years old makes this a birthday I will remember for a long time.
 We have our "bye" week next weekend and I am planning on doing some sightseeing and going back to the beach! So I will be back to tell y'all how that was and hopefully have some great pictures to share as well.  I appreciate all the love and support on Twitter and Facebook! Go NEERS!
 Chelsie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment