Sunday, July 28, 2013

ODU's Lewis confident about her new overseas job: basketball in Bulgaria


Tia Lewis can't wait.

The former Old Dominion forward is Bulgaria bound.

Lewis signed a pro contract earlier this month with Dunav 8806 Ruse of the Bulgarian Basketball League. Her team is the three-time defending league champion.

The news is great for Lewis, who earned a WNBA tryout last season before leaving for Netanya, Israel, a situation that ended up not working out. Lewis said it was not a good fit, as when she arrived, she said, she was told to forgo scoring for defense.

"The offer in Bulgaria was always on the table since I left Israel," she said. "I had to do some soul searching to find out if I really wanted to go back overseas and I had a couple of other offers. But I think Bulgaria is the best fit for me. They're clear in what they've said to me and what they've offered me, and they are sure of what they want from me."

So what do they want? Lewis says they want her to put up the kind of numbers she compiled for the Lady Monarchs -- 16.9 ppg and 8.9 rpg when her 35.5 minutes was third in the CAA her senior season.  She feels even better about her scoring capability given some extra body weight she felt was necessary to put on.

"I've gained power and strength with my game," said Lewis, who has spent her summer playing pickup with the Lady Monarchs. "I like my new weight. I was only really, really skinny because I never got a break with basketball. I'm powering up."

Lewis will be playing alongside her former CAA teammate Shante Evans of Hofstra along with Oregon's Amanda Johnson.

   The main street of the city is "Aleksandrovska."




She is looking forward to immersing herself in the Bulgarian culture, which is rich in archaeology, architecture and folklore, though she will miss American food and wouldn't mind receiving a care package or two from the friends and family she will leave behind  (raman and snacks are her faves).
"I'm very picky," she said.

As far as being rusty? "Not at all," Lewis assured. "I've been working out. I don't even see how people become rusty."

Here's how Lewis described herself on her new team's website: "Hard working, determined, motivated player who loves to play the inside out game. I am more of an undersize post with ball handles so I make my way to the basket a lot. I am a terrific rebounder, always hungry for a put-back. Overall people’s person that gets along with everyone."

We couldn't agree more. Follow Tia on on her fan page, and of course, we'll keep you up to date on her progress.


1 comment: