Monday, August 26, 2013

Adios, Jericka! Hampton's Jenkins heading overseas

You knew Jericka Jenkins was too good a player not to get a shot at international ball.

The 5-4 point guard, who led Hampton to the NCAA Tournament in 2011 and 2012, leaves her home near Dallas for Puerto Rico in two days. Her new team is Ponce L, one of the former teams to graduated Lady Monarch Jessica Canady.

Since leaving HU, Jenkins has been working out with a trainer and working at Nordstrom Rack (we envy that; great shoe deals....).

Bigs are valued overseas, and Jenkins didn't get picked up her first year out of college.

"I did get to go to a combine at the Final Four in April," she said. "I got a new agent, and he found me the team in Puerto Rico. The owner likes me and wants me to play like I played at Hampton."

We can see why. Jenkins scored 1,376 points in her career at HU, leading the Pirates in points and assists (her 7.2 apg were also fifth in the NCAA) her senior season. As a junior, Jenkins was AP honorable mention, the first Lady Pirate athlete to be recognized by AP.

Jenkins hasn't been to Puerto Rico, though has chatted with current HU volleyball player Sheileen Pagan, whose hometown is Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. She will live in Ponce, Puerto Rico's most populated city beside St. Juan.

"I'm definitely excited to go," Jenkins said. "I miss basketball. Not playing makes watching hard. I went and visited Hampton in January and went to a game. I missed it."

Besides basketball, "I do want to go to the beach and maybe go out on a boat and swim with the dolphins!"

The season starts in early September and runs only into November. "The plan is to go to Europe after that if I can find a team," Jenkins said.

We'll keep you posted on her inaugural season of overseas basketball!




No comments:

Post a Comment