Thursday, November 12, 2009

Byrd watching




Old Dominion's newest sharpshooter greeted us with a smile, an extended right hand and a one-syllable introduction:

"Byrd."

Not Kquanise, K.Q. or some other first-name shorthand. Just Byrd, the moniker her friends and teammates use and the one she clearly prefers. Naturally, we like it, too. For starters, it's a headline writer's dream (Bird soars as Lady Monarchs roar.... the possibilities are endless). Also, as a longtime Boston Celtics fan, the name brings back tons of pleasant memories.

We'll hold off on any more comparisons to Larry Legend for now. But based on the smooth stroking we're seen from Kquanise so far, we suspect this Byrd will do quite a few things worth remembering, too
.
The Byrd file:

About that spelling of your first name....: "I'll have to ask my mom about that. I have no idea."

Likes to jam to: Mrs. Jay-Z and Kanye's personal favorite

Must-dos before tipoff: "I go to sleep two hours before the game, then I take a shower. I have to listen to music while I'm putting on my jersey. And I always pray during the national anthem."

3 people she'd love to dine with: "Ah, Mo'Nique...um...I'll have to get back to you on that. (She never did. Next time we see you, Byrd, remember, you owe us two.)

Quirky quirk: Cracking her knuckles

Off-court pursuits: Dancing and roller skating

Favorite players: Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose, Ivory Latta

Favorite Wendy-ism: You gotta move without the ball! "She says that a lot."

Branded for life: The word Byrd over a basketball with wings is tattooed on her right shoulder

Self-portrait: "I'm really family-oriented. I'm the oldest of four and everyone always comes to me for help."

No comments:

Post a Comment