Monday, January 4, 2010

Introducing Virginia Wesleyan's Maggie Davis




We deviate from Division I women's hoops to focus on Division III women's hoops. Never been to a D-III game? It's a refreshing change. We trotted over to Virginia Wesleyan a few weeks ago and loved all the trimmings of the Marlin fan base. Band, cheerleaders, dance team and mascot -- "Fear the Fish" -- all were part of the charm. The Adirondack chairs painted with pastels offer the best seat in the house to two lucky students. We got a kick out of the paper airplane throw at halftime where folks took to the court and tried to hit a bulls eye with their homemade airplanes for a prize. We really loved that VWC president William T. Greer was among those winging it with his own plane.

We noticed the energy from the Wesleyan bench and took note of one woman we'd like to introduce you to today. Chesapeake's Maggie Davis is the team captain.

The 5-10 senior averages a team-high 8.9 rebounds to go with 9.8 points and 2.1 assists. She was the ODAC Player of the Week on Dec. 14 after tying a school record with six blocks against Randolph Macon.

Tell me about growing up in Chesapeake.

"We moved there from Michigan when I was 10 to be part of a church, and that's actually where I went to high school. My parents are Christians and when we visited relatives here, we heard about this ministry. We used to visit relatives in this area and we could never find a church we liked in Michigan. My family saw how families were raised in the church and how gospel-centered it was."

The Sovereign Grace Church offers a home school enrichment program. So you were home schooled?

"I was. I loved it. All my friends were there. I loved the high school. I never felt sheltered."

So at 22 years old, you're married?

"I met him at church. He said he liked me since I was 12 years old. I didn't start liking him until freshman year of college."

And it's true you didn't kiss until you're wedding day -- July 25?

"We didn't hold hands until we were engaged. That's the way I wanted it to be. I didn't want to date just to date. I wanted to find out if this was what God wants and I wanted to find out if I loved him enough without touching him. I felt anything physical would just be a distraction. It comes down to my personal faith in God and what I want my life to look like."

What was that first kiss like?

"It was great. And it has gotten better and better."

You married where?

We went to a resort in Naples, Fla. I was huge, probably 300 or so."

Between basketball your math major and marriage, how do you spend free time?

"I love being with my family. I have a sister, Melissa (21); she's my best friend. I have an older brother, Jordan and another brother, Josiah, who's a freshman at ODU."

Do you have a ritual before playing?

"I shower and have to straighten my hair. I drink Focus (the pink one). then we pray as a team."

You didn't have the typical road to college basketball. (Davis started by playing for local home-school team BEACH -- her father coached the first middle school team there.)

I didn't think I was good enough to play until my senior year of high school. I begged the girls to play for my church. It was a fun year, but we weren't very good. My freshman year at Wesleyan, I didn't play that much. I was tentative with the ball, not very aggressive. It's fun to be able to be pushed in a way I haven't been before. I realized my sophomore year, "Oh, I can, too, do this." I turned it on in the conference tournament and scored 15 points and we lost by one."

You want to be a math teacher?

"I hated math, but I started taking it through my church and I changed. I'd love to help someone who is struggling with it. ....I really like geometry. I like proofs."

Thanks, Maggie. Good luck the rest of the season.

In case you missed them, here are our other Ladyswish profiles from
the season:

Taylor Hilton, William and Mary

Abby Redick, Virginia Tech

Simone Egwu, Virginia

Devon Brown, Liberty

Tia Lewis, ODU

Kquanise Byrd, ODU

No comments:

Post a Comment