Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Introducing Devon Brown



Who is she?
A 5-10 redshirt freshman guard from Waynesboro who has started every game of her young college career.

OK. What makes her so special: Where do you want me to start? The reigning Big South Player of the Week averaged 21 points and 10.7 rebounds in three games last week. That included 18 points and 12 boards against Tulane, her first double-double. Brown and her 19 points, 11 rebounds and five steals rallied Liberty from 16 down against Navy in its own tournament.
And did you hear the part about her being a freshman? And while her 21-point, 8-rebound average might sound impressive, consider Brown amassed 2,728 points at Waynesboro High School. If that sounds like a lot, it's because she is the state's second leading high school girls basketball scorer, who by the way, never averaged less than 25 ppg all four years at Waynesboro.

Tell me more: I could, but I'd rather have Brown tell you about herself.

You started basketball at 7?: "One day I was at home looking out my window and a boy was dribbling a ball down the street. I asked him, "What kind of ball is that?" and he said it was a basketball. I went and told my mom, "I want a basketball."

You've racked up a few points in your time. What stands out?: "I remember when I scored my 1,000th point in high school my sophomore year. It was a layup -- fastbreak."

Motivational tool: Brown's dad is an elementary school janitor who stressed the importance of a good education to Devon and her two siblings. "In our family academics was the main thing. Basketball came second. I always did my schoolwork first. That helped me achieve my goals."

Holiday wish list: "Clothes and shoes. I'd like a pair of Jordans."

Her best Christmas: "When I was 9, I got a bike. I woke up early and came downstairs and there it was. I tried to ride it in the house."

Inside the Flames with Devon: "We like to have a good time together. We're together all the time. We do a team Bible study once a week and get in touch with one another." .... As for her teammates, Amber Mays is very fun. She was the happy one at 5 a.m. practice. It's 5 a.m., and she'd be the one making jokes and dancing."

Special buddy: Former flame Megan Frazee (Devon wears No. 40 like Frazee).

Coach Green keeps saying.....: "Rebound and box out!"

Slimming down: Brown estimates she's lost close to 40 pounds in the last year thanks to "a lot of determination. I never went on a diet. I used to eat a lot of junk food and fast food." Her vice: Starburst.

Why Liberty?: It came down to Liberty and James Madison. "When I visited Liberty, I hung out with the girls and loved every minute of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment