Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Whatever happened to .....Richmond's Kate Flavin?

We take a break from looking forward to looking back at another state great in our occasional series of "Whatever happened to?" Today we catch up with former Richmond forward Kate Flavin, who led the Spiders to their first NCAA tournament at-large berth in 2005. Flavin, Richmond's all-time leader in field-goal percentage (57.7 percent), amassed 1770 career points and 1079 career rebounds.

The Spiders promoted Flavin for All-American via the slogan "Flavor of the Year."

In her words, "After graduating from Richmond in 2005, I played overseas in Sprimont, Belgium and Terceira, Portugal from 2006-2007. It was an amazing opportunity to play basketball throughout Europe, but it couldn't compete with my basketball experience at UR.

"I returned to the United States to try out for the Washington Mystics in May 2007. Unfortunately, things didn't work out, so I started a new chapter in my life. I returned to Richmond to obtain my teaching certification. I then began a job with Hershey's in Northern Virginia. In February 2010, I was inducted into the University of Richmond Athletic Hall of Fame. Unfortunately snowmagedden ruined the big basketball reunion, but we'll try again next year! I recently got engaged; Andrew and I are getting married next summer.

"I still shoot around once in awhile. While the competitive edge is still there, my skill level is not quite what it use to be. I hope to coach in the future and become a positive role model to aspiring basketball players like so many of my coaches were to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment