Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Richmond's Shells on the fast track

Brittani Shells, preseason Atlantic 10 second team selection?

It doesn't exactly ring, does it?

That didn't sit too well with the Richmond senior, the leading returning scorer in the conference, either.

"Was that motivation?" asked Shells, whose Spiders (4-3) tackle No. 12 Georgetown (5-1) on Wednesday night. "I'm trying to choose my words wisely. It was very disappointing to know that I gave the A-10 everything I had and to know I was selected second team. I was shocked. But I'm not playing for accolades; I'm playing to win. I'm just going to play hard and whatever they decide, they decide."

We don't know if the snub fueled Shells' fast start or not, but nobody is overlooking her these days. Averaging 21.4 ppg, she is shooting 50 percent from the field and has nailed 25 of her 30 free throws. She set a new career high of 34 points in the Spiders' opener against Western Carolina and has already nabbed conference Player of the Week honors.

"It's a different story when it's your last year," she said. "A lot of people say play every game like it's your last because you never know. But this is really it. It's my senior year. I've never gone to the NCAAs. Ever. I can only go on other people's experiences, but I know it's a great thing. That's why you play college basketball.. And that's what I want to do. I want to win and take this team as far as it can go."

Richmond hasn't beaten a ranked opponent since  the 2008-09 season. Let's hope that changes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment