Saturday, January 29, 2011

A few minutes with Radford's Da'Naria Erwin Spencer


The hottest team in the state? We like Radford, winners of six of its last seven games, good enough for first place in the Big South.The streak includes a 57-50 decision over Gardner-Webb and a come-from-behind thriller over defending champion Liberty in Lynchburg. Radford -- which just recorded its 600th program victory -- is off to its best conference start in 13 years.

They win with defense -- the Highlanders (9-11, 6-1) are atop the conference in steals -- and they win behind 5-5 sophomore guard Da'Naria Erwin Spencer, third in the conference in scoring (14.3 ppg). That would be Da'Naria Brinyelle Erwin Spencer, no hyphens anywhere, thank you.

Last year you guys lost to Liberty 66-33 during the regular season. This year you guys erased a 15-point deficit and ended a 16-game losing streak in Lynchburg (Erwin Spencer had 15 points, four assists and four steals in that one).What gives?

They jumped on us pretty good back then. We were intimidated because they were Liberty. They were Big South champions. ....(This year) we were down at the half, but we didn't get down on ourselves. We came out in the second half with a lot of intensity.

You guys are the comeback kids these days. You also rallied from 13 back against Presbyterian.

I don't know why. We start off games kind of slow.

Tell us about you. What do you like to do besides basketball?

I listen to music all the time. I have to go to sleep to music.

Rick Ross
Such as?

R&B before the game. I really like Rick Ross.

And to sleep?

Beyonce.

What else?

I'm really into fashion. I'm really into shoes a lot. I have like 60 pairs. I used to be into Jordans; now I have a lot of different pairs. I like to be different, not like everybody else.

What do you want to do in life?

My major is sports administration. I'd love to be a coach or do something with athletics.

Tell us about your relationship with your coach (Tajama Abraham Ngongba)

She pretty much knows me. I think earlier in the season, I wasn't mentally there. I was going through some things. She sat down and talked to me. It really helped.

 Have any secret indulgences?

Real Housewives of Atlanta
"Real Housewives of Atlanta." It's so funny. I don't eat healthy at all. I like a lot of fried foods. .... Especially Wendy's chicken nuggets.

Do you watch basketball?

I like the Michigan State men. I like their style of play.

Favorite movie?

 I'd say the movie "Life" with Martin Lawrence.

Why Radford?

I didn't want to go to a major D-I school. I wanted to go to a school close to home (Charlotte).

Long term goals?

We’re going to try to keep it up, play harder, be unstoppable and try to win the big South

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute, Tajama Abraham Ngongba is the Head Coach of Radford?! She's very good coach -- I used to watch her play at GW when I lived in DC, she's pretty formidable!

    She'll give Liberty headaches year in and out. That's how consistent she is.

    R-

    ReplyDelete